Wednesday 12 December 2012

Christmas Cards

With Christmas approaching, the Chester squad have joined in public discontent with the official website, after discovering that the stats pages aren't up to date.

Crafty Blues players had hoped to co-ordinate a couple of bookings to allow them either Boxing Day or New Year's Day off, but a quick check of the discipline tab on chesterfc.com has left them tearing their hair out.

"I'm not sure if I'm on three or if I've picked up another since then," fretted right back Wes Baynes.  "I've gotta get this timed right, otherwise New Year's Eve is down the pan.  The whole community comes out for a Baynesy disco, I need to make sure I've got the day after off."

Antoni Sarcevic remains confident that he is one caution shy of sitting a match out, giving him the tricky choice of December 26th or January 1st.

"I do like to get a good fill on Christmas Day, so maybe Boxing Day is best," mused 'Sarce'.  "New Year's is a bit over-rated anyway - too expensive and I don't know the words to Auld Lang's Syne."

"Might just see what opportunities present themselves though - I want to get full value for the yellow card.

The practice is nothing new around the club.  Blues fans were left smarting for weeks last year when Michael Powell, incensed at his own uncharacteristic failure to be suspended for the Boxing Day clash with Northwich Victoria, acted out by waving his hands near the face of Vics defender John Disney, who hit the ground like a man who'd suddenly forgotten how legs work.

"I understand the players' frustration at having to play these games when everyone else is off work," sympathised manager Neil Young.  "I'd try it myself, but last time I got a touchline ban, Gaz Powell told me I had to come along and sit in the stands anyway.  Buzzkill - I'd planned to go paintballing with my friends Chopper, Big Dog and The Goose."

Meanwhile, confirmation has seeped through that Chester's home match with Harrogate next Wednesday will take place despite Harrogate's involvement in the West Ridings Cup the night before.  This news was tweeted by Chronicle ink artist The Tall Peacock, who spent the rest of the day excitedly reporting on the fact that for a brief moment today, it was 12:12:12 on 12/12/12.

"Come back when you've seen 12:12:12 on 12/12/1212," scoffed William Longespée, 3rd Earl of Salisbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment