Friday 25 November 2011

A Few Good Board Members

Mark Howells and Geoff Banks were given a vote of confidence last night as they were voted back onto the board of Chester Football Club.

Media junkie Banks has been a popular and successful figure for most of his first 18 months, though came under fire after the Blues began to charge for multimedia packages such as NATV and Blues Live.

Earlier in the week during his re-election campaign tour, when pressed for the truth behind the Blues Player subscription fee by the Jestrian, Banks erupted;

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a city that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by ornamental clocks, apparently.  I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for NATV and you curse the CFU. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that that subscription fee, while tragic, probably wins us promotion. And my suits, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, will win us promotion... You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on the board. You need me on the board.

"We use words like honour, code, loyalty.  We use these words as the backbone to a life spent building a football club. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps supporting the very football club I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you put on a suit and stand for election. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

"Besides, you can still follow the games on The Tall Peacock's Twitter feed."

Howells’s re-election, meanwhile, means that he will continue his role Tweeting about Youth Team games in a greater depth than the first team games are covered.

"I like to make sure all the Tweets go on Facebook too.  People love their news feeds being full of stuff about how Matty Murphy has just missed a half-chance or how Joe Ormrod has just played a nice pass."

Along with the two stalwarts, some guy called Bill Smith has also been voted onto the board, which is a complete comedy dead-end, thanks.

Chester take on Stourbridge in the FA Trophy tomorrow, and given that Stourbridge have just dumped Plymouth Argyle out of the FA Cup, it seems likely that the Blues won't have any cup competitions to moan about this time next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment